The girl's mother, Jessica Griffin, first noticed something was wrong last Wednesday morning (June 6), when her daughter Kailyn had trouble getting up to go to daycare. "She has been such a champ throughout this whole ordeal".
Women and children are most at risk. Then, she saw a tick on her head.
It is advised that the people should immediately seek medical assistance in case of a tick bite causing flu like condition or infection.
Jessica Griffin, from MS in the U.S., said she did not realise anything was wrong with Kailyn until the little girl woke up last Wednesday morning.
Griffin said that her daughter was admitted to hospital as they conducted tests.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a toxin in a tick's saliva is thought to cause tick paralysis and it can present like a neurological disorder. After the tick has been engorged for multiple days, paralysis usually starts in the lower limbs and works its way up the body, eventually affecting the respiratory system where it can become fatal.
Britain's Theresa May wins key vote, but loses a junior minister
The Daily Express featured the British flag as its front page with the headline: "Ignore the will of the people at your peril". Instead, the government has proposed reporting its efforts to secure a customs arrangement .
Apart from tick paralysis, the ticks can cause a number of other heath disease like the Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and the rash illness.
The grateful mom is hoping this experience will encourage parents to check their children for ticks on every surface and in every crease of their bodies. Symptoms usually improve with 24 hours, according to the CDC, after the tick has been completely removed. Experts say you should grasp the tick as close to the victim's skin as possible in order to make sure you remove its head, else it will stay in the skin and the disease will progress.
Fun and laughter aside, Jessica wants her readers to be aware that tick paralysis is both real and risky.
Which ticks can cause paralysis? I was just thinking that her legs were asleep until I noticed that she couldn't hardly talk! Wearing protective clothing treated with insect repellent, particularly Permethrin, was shown to protect against tick bites. Showering when you get home can wash away ticks that haven't attached yet and putting your clothes in a hot dryer will help to kill any ticks that may be caught in them.
"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she posted.