Dr. Vladimir Kartashev at the Rostov State Medical University in Russian Federation explained that the women had initially witnessed a nodule under the left eye, which moved up to the top of the left eye within just five days.
Aside from some itching and burning, she experienced no other symptoms and dismissed it as nothing serious but, five days later, the bump had moved to the top of her eye lid and after 10 days it resurfaced on her upper lip.
Adding to the already grim situation, the worm can live up to two years in the human body if it is not removed.
The woman said the bump felt a little itchy and burned at times (because, face worm), but she felt fine, otherwise.
Two weeks after she noticed the lump, the woman finally made a decision to have it checked.
The case appeared this month in the New England Journal of Medicine, where it was reported that the 32-year-old patient saw an ophthalmologist after two weeks of the lump moving around her face.
Trump tells Republicans to 'stop wasting time on immigration'
Sanders tweeted Friday: "It's shameful that dems and the media exploited this photo of a little girl to push their agenda". Some 2,300 children were taken from their parents since May under the Trump administration's "zero-tolerance" policy.
You wouldn't mind a pimple on your face for a lifetime as compared to having a worm underneath your skin.
She told NPR that in 20 per cent of cases, the worms can "move considerable distances" such as from the upper eyelid to the buttocks.
That said, the parasites usually die in the skin and are easily removed.
The worm was identified as, a parasitic infection that usually affects dogs and cats, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Luckily, D. repens (a.k.a., the type of worm most likely to infect humans) is not-I repeat: IS NOT-found in the USA, though it is the leading cause of dirofilariasis in Europe.
Other than Europe, this parasite is also found in the Mediterranean region and sub-Saharan Africa. According to the doctor involved in this case, the lady caught this worm that is reportedly a sort of Nematode, on getting bitten by the mosquitoes in the outskirts of Moscow.
Doctors determined that the wandering wart was actually a marauding parasite, likely transmitted by a mosquito bite on her trip. In a 2009 case report, one strain of the parasite even caused meningoencephalitis, or inflammation of the brain and its surrounding membranes.