Sun Prairie Fire Chief Christopher Garrison said Barr had served more than 10 years with the department. "Crews could not access the area safely to stop the leak".
Two firefighters and a police officer were taken to a local hospital. We will keep on building from this.
A utility spokeswoman says a contractor struck a natural gas main shortly before an explosion rocked a suburb of Madison, Wisconsin.
According to officials, a total of 6 firefighters were hurt responding to the fire after the explosion. The benefit account was started by the family's church in Sun Prairie.
Schulze said WE Energies was still working Wednesday afternoon to restore gas service to the 500 customers who were affected by the explosion.
New details are emerging about a firefighter who was killed when a gas leak ignited a building explosion in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin Tuesday night.
'Fortnite' Season 5 Starts Today - Here's Everything That's New
The new Battle Pass also launches with Season 5 , and as ever it can only be purchased in-game and costs 950 V-Bucks. As we mentioned though, you can find all this detail in the above gallery which will make sure you don't get lost.
Posted July 11, 2018, 5:05 a.m.
The fire department said that following a search of the area there are no missing people following the blast, which caused "significant damage" to five buildings- Barr House, Glass Nickel Pizza, the Professional Building, Water Tower Chophouse and a residential home.
Sun Prairie, a community of about 30,000, was shaken by a blast about 7:15 p.m. that sent a large plume of smoke and flames rising from the downtown area. Steve Owen, a small business owner, told reporters what he saw when firefighters and police officers started to mobilize, and he also recalled that the building across the street from his shop was "literally lifted up" by a fireball.
"It shook the whole building", Thompson said.
'People were scrambling, ' said Owen, who lives above his shop.
He said the force of the blast knocked him back in his chair and that he ran outside and saw a ball of fire. We felt this boom and I thought something landed on our roof, it was so loud.